Monday, July 28, 2008

Camping

Anybody who knows me, knows I LOVE to go camping. Unfortunately camping is a summer activity and Stan pretty much lives in the mountains during the summer for his job, so... I guess I can understand how on the weekends he would rather not return to where he just was...I guess. So this weekend was definitely a rare treat. We were 'roughing' it for two days and two nights. Well, not really roughing it. Check out the pics of where we stayed. We found a nice compromise and rented a cabin.


The drive there was amazing. I saw my first bull elk from a distance and then a little farther up the road about 40 elk cows and calves and then we actually drove through a herd of about 20. It doesn't get much closer than that.








The cabin was not what I expected at all. It is a historic site and completely remodeled with some antique furnishings to get it as close to the original look as possible. It was absolutely beautiful. This is the front door and there is also a door around to the back. Not in the picture, but over to the left is an outhouse. There is no electricity, but plenty of propane lanterns, and two gas fireplaces, and a gas stove. No running water but just out the front gate is a pump.



The inside of the house was completely furnished, complete with a piano and piano music. The downstairs consisted of a living room, dining room, kitchen, and office. Upstairs there were three bedrooms. Stan, Taylee, and I stayed in the big bedroom which had a small on one side of the room and a double bed on the other. The other two bedrooms had small beds with trundle beds underneath. Mike stayed in one of the bedrooms upstairs and Wayne slept downstairs on the couch.




Taylee playing the piano.










Mike the chef













Taylee's bed








Eating applesauce on the front porch











Dog days of summer













Taylee finishing up her "conversation" on the phone











We had so much fun-hiking, fishing, roasting marshmallows, and just relaxing. I took a little over 200 pictures (thank goodness for digital cameras). The first night we got there late- like 10 o'clock so we unpacked and then relaxed and sat on the front porch for a while. The next day we slept in, sat on the front porch some more, went upstairs to read some books and ended up taking a 3-hour nap.




When we woke up Stan, Taylee, Bella, and I went fishing. Taylee caught 5 fish before we headed back to the cabin for dinner.
























After dinner we went for a quick hike. We started off on the road as we are all wearing crocs, but eventually made it off road. We didn't see any animals, but Bella did chase a pack rat under a large rock (she continually tried sneaking back up the hill the rest of the night). Our day ended by roasting marshmallows and watching shooting stars. It was an absolutely beautiful night. Taylee stayed awake until about midnight before getting ready for bed. The next morning we slept in again of course and woke to the smell of Mike cooking his delicious huckleberry pancakes. After breakfast we packed up and set off to a fish barrier.

























At the fish barrier, Stan and Bella did a little fishing. Bella actually "caught" a fish that Stan had already hooked and was disappointed to have it taken away. The little cutthroat will permanently have two Bella fang marks on each side of its body. Bella also fell off the waterfall once and then jumped off another time (after a fish of course).
































That was it. Our wonderful weekend.


1 comment:

asgamble said...

I'm so jealous--that looked like a lot of fun. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get away from people out here.