Friday, April 10, 2009

Handling It

Oh, Taylee. She's a force of nature. I was downstairs working on one of my many, many college papers I have to write and I heard Bella barking outside. How strange. She should be inside. So I went up to see what was happening. I found Taylee and Bella in the back yard. Taylee was talking to some older kids from across the alley. They greeted me, "Hi, Mrs. VanSickle. We were just helping your daughter get your dog." Hmmmm. Taylee turned around and set the record straight, "I saw these boys (pointing) swinging around our fence posts so I came out here to handle it. Then they were helping me get Bella and acting like they were nice friends, but they still can't swing around our posts. Right, boys?"
My dad says she's bossy and never stops talking. I clarify that she is assertive and social. I really admire and like this part of her personality, but no more going outside without me knowing. For a while at least, she'll just have to ask permission before she "handles" anything.

1 comment:

asgamble said...

You really need to write a parenting book. I need your knowledge. I'm reading a book about parenting boys right now--only time will tell if it works.